GUERNSEY SEA FARMS IS THE ONLY SUPPLIER OF DISEASE FREE TRIPLOIDS IN THE UK
Triploid oysters have three sets of chromosomes which causes them to be infertile. This is a common technique in agriculture and is not genetic modification. All seedless fruit and bananas are triploid as are most trout. In all other respects they are identical to normal (‘diploid’) oysters.
Although there are theoretical advantages for growth rate (since they need less energy for reproduction), in practice most people find they grow about the same as diploids. The difference is in the summer, or Autumn in cooler locations, when the triploids should retain a better meat quality by not being ‘milky’ which some consumers and chefs find unattractive.
the advantages of triploid oysters
- Don’t become milky so better taste and market acceptance
- Don’t spawn in purification or storage tanks
- Don’t lose condition after spawning
- Should command a premium price
- Sites with low or moderate algae may not see much benefit. Generally they do best on sites that have a lot of natural algae thanks to good nutrients
- Seed is more expensive as it is more difficult to produce in the hatchery
- Keeping diploids separate from triploids can be difficult to organise for growers
Every batch is verified using our own flow cytometer